These tools are intended to be used for your reference & are licensed as freeware.
They are not meant to be end all, be all utilities. You may use these tools in
anyway you wish. Commercial or other non-personal use is ok, just as long as you leave
the copyright & author information intact. Instead of re-distributing this software,
please link to this site. You can get examples of links
Most of them have been written using Free Format RPG IV/ILE (RPG Free) & many of them
utilize my own service program (
). This service program is contains several
common procedures that I have written. Some of the procedures that are included are:
- Center - Center text in a variable
- ObjText - Retrieve the text of an object
- LCase - Convert Text to lower case (Using the system language)
- UCase - Convert Text to upper case (Using the system language)
- ExecuteCommand - Run an RPG/i5(AS400) command using the QCAPCMD API
- CheckCommand - Validate & return the proper syntax of a command using the QCAPCMD API
- SystemValue - Return an oprerating system value using the QWCRSVAL API
- SndPgmMsg - Send a Program Message using the QMHSNDPM API
- SndUsrMsg - Send a User Message using the QMHSNDM API
- MbrText - Retrieve a member's text using the QUSRMBRD API
- RtvSysName - Retrieve the RPG/i5(AS400) system name using the QWCRNETA API
- FileInfo - Retrieve physical file information (records, size, etc..) using the QUSRMBRD API
These are just some of the procedures that are included with each download. Plus
more are always being added.
These RPG source samples/examples are designed to be generic in nature & very little
hard coding has been used. In all cases I have used RPG IV & in most I have
used Free Format RPG.
I have tried to take advantage of the AS400 system APIs & built in RPG IV/ILE functions (BIFS)
wherever possible. You are encouraged to modify the source to suit your needs &
to learn from my mistakes. If you do make any enhancements, by all means
them back to this site, I will be glad to post them. Also, If you have any
suggestions for new tools or enhancements, please send them to me as well.
Please remember, the primary purpose of this site is not just to give away free software. It is to share knowledge! That knowledge
is primarily directed at the RPG/i5 (AS400) platform & RPG, but as you can see from my other downloads section, I am willing to
share any knowledge that is helpful.
I would highly reccomend that you download the
command. This command will make a lot easier to use the Free RPG/i5 (AS400) Tools
. This command can also be very useful in your own environment when trying to establish standards
for compiling objects.
Just a Note: If you have some time on your hands (Like I wish I did) & you would
like to make an enhancement to one of these tools. The
is in desperate need of an upgrade. It needs to be able to indent Free Format RPG
& there are a few tweaks it could use for the other forms of RPG as well dealing with
longer field names & things like the eval statement. I haven't had the time to do this
myself, so if you are interested I would be willing to offer a free membership to anyone
who does it. Please send me an e-mail if you are interested.
Please keep in mind, (as it is with all freeware/shareware) this software is
supported by you (hence the reason I give you the source). I will be more than
happy to answer your e-mails (if I can), but I am not glued to my computer. So please do
not be disappointed if your e-mails don't get answered right away.